Open call for directors
Albany Civic Theater is currently soliciting submissions from directors for their 65th Season. We are seeking directors for 4 main stage shows running three weekends each in September 2019 November 2019, February 2020 and May 2020.
Albany Civic strives to offer a balanced season and is seeking dramatic and comedic works, as well as small scale musicals. The committee strives to find balance in the season with cutting edge new works and classic
revivals, and a season that provides a combination of artistic risks and commercial success. Please take into account the physical constraints of our cozy space. For example, musical submissions can accommodate no more than a three piece orchestra.
All submissions should include your current resume of directing experience. Each submission should also include a description of the play, any unique interpretations you will bring to the production and a list of production team members who have committed to your project.
A. Directors must answer the following questions with their submission:
1) Cast Size, Male/Female breakdown, age or ethnic considerations.
2) The name of the licensing company.
3) Special set design considerations.
4) Special costuming considerations.
5) Why are you passionate about this work?
6) What can you as director bring to this play?
7) Why would this show appeal to an audience and what type of audience?
8) Please state which of the time slots you are interested in (September, November, February, May).
For submissions, here is what you need to do:*
1. Put your submission in a clean, 8 1/2 x 11 inch manila envelope
2. Mail a copy of the script of each submission (and music CDs if you have them) for up to two selections to:
Albany Civic Theater
attn: Debra Burger – Play Selection Committee Chairperson
235 Second Avenue
Albany, NY 12209
3. Include your name, address, email address and phone number on your resume.
4. Enter your submissions by Friday, December 7, 2018.
Submissions will be chosen by a committee and approved by the board of directors. No one on the selection committee may submit their own personal proposals. Please include any other information that you deem necessary in your proposal.
If you prefer, you may deliver your submissions in person to the theater. There is a mail slot located to the left of the entrance doors.
We look forward to receiving your submissions and beginning the selection process! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Debra Burger at firstname.lastname@example.org